Sunday 12 February 2017

Pussies galore


Jake will be irked by this post, not only did I leave him for 5 days to visit Greece, but I'm writing about cats. He responded to his abandonment by not eating for 2 days and then by refusing dog food and only eating chicken, eggs and rice. He has had the sole attention of my daughter, treats and plenty of walks but he was keen to get his vexation acknowledged. He will have also noted that when he was responsible for the blog, the posts were more frequent.
I was on Hydra for 4 days and the difference between Bodrum and the island was pronounced; Hydra was very quiet, most of the cafes, hotels and restaurants closed and the streets empty, today in Bodrum there was a buzz in the air - cafes full and a craft street market in full swing. Maybe it is an island thing - I shall have to go to Kos to compare.

While on a lonely walk between Avlaki and Hydra harbour, I came across Valerie - busy feeding the island's street cats. I stopped to chat and found that like Bodrum, a few individuals take on the responsibility  of keeping the street animals alive during the winter. It's a stressful job as once started, it is impossible to stop and when charitable donations are added to the equation there are the constant accusations of misappropriation of funds to deal with, even though good hearted animal lovers are funding the work from their own pockets when contributions run dry.

Valerie and her followers

The street cats all looked sleek and well fed and The Hydra Ark tries to keep the feline population under control with regular neutering session. Luckily, unlike Bodrum, there are very few abandoned dogs.

8 comments:

  1. It looks like they are succeeding in their work. Those gorgeous kitties ( sorry Jake) look well fed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that when visiting Turkey for the first time I found it very strange to discover that many of the cats and dogs roaming around were not people's pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whyever do people start unpleasant tales about people doing good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, If you take to working summers in Hydra again, Jake might really go on hunger strike! A rather spoiled baby indeed. Our island cats are all pampered by winter residents and fishermen who feed them and even build them condos. I just wish we had the neutering program . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. boredom and alcohol, a potent cause of bitter-twisted syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor Jake, Mark and Emma would have loved to entertain you if only we were close by.. I love the look of Hydra, would love to make it there - good to hear the kittens well looked after, they look gorgeous. Sevgiler, Ozlem xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hydra looks pretty; I would like to visit a quiet Greek island. The year I lived in Istanbul Turkish students took me several times to visit Buyuk Ada, I recall riding a donkey to the picnic area. Poor Jake sounds stressed out; I am sure he will write about this soon.

    ReplyDelete